Updated: Jan 9, 2021
These are a version of my signature meatballs with veal, pork and beef.
Prep time: 30 minutes. Inactive Prep: 30 minutes. Cook time: 30 min - 4 hours. Yields: 16 balls.
1/2 lb ground veal
1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 lb ground beef
3 large cloves minced garlic
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
1/2 cup grated parmigiano reggiano
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (diamond crystal)
1. Combine all ingredients in a large metal bowl and mix with clean hands. Mix gently until meat is well combined and you no longer can distinguish between the veal pork and beef.
2. Cover the bowl and refrigerate the mixture until you are ready to form the meatballs.
3. If baking, preheat the oven to 375 F. Form the meatballs into 2-ounce portions with a #20 ice cream scoop (about the size of a blue rubber ball). You can go bigger or smaller, but you will need to adjust the cook time. At this size, you should get about 16 meatballs.
4. If baking, place the meatballs on a parchment or silicone-lined cookie sheet, and bake at 375 F for 17 minutes. Switch the broiler to high and broil the meatballs for the last 2-3 minutes about 6 inches from the heating element to brown the top.
5. If you choose too cook them in the sauce instead of baking, freeze the meatballs for 10 minutes to help them keep their round shape. Before finishing in the sauce, sear the meatballs in a saute pan. Add 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to a saute pan or cast iron skillet and cook the meatballs until golden brown (about 5 minutes on each side), then finish in simmering sauce for at least 20 minutes, up to 4 hours.