Sausage, broccoli, garlic, red pepper and oil come together for easy weeknight pasta.
Sausage and Broccoli Pasta
Ingredients: 1 pound Italian sausage, casing removed 1 pound pasta such as farfalle or mezze rigatoni 1 pound broccoli, cut into bite sized florets 3-4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes 3-4 tablespoons EVOO 1/2 cup grated parmesan or pecorino cheese 1-2 cups reserved pasta water (after pasta has boiled) Fried garlic chips, parsley, red pepper, and lemon zest to garnish Directions:
1. Heat 6-8 quarts of water in a large part over high heat with a generous amount of kosher salt (1/4 cup), cover and wait for it to come to a boil.
2. Meanwhile in a large saute pan over high heat, brown the cooked sausage, this can be done in a dry pan. Do not toss, but leave on one side for 3-4 minutes to get a hard seer. Flip over and seer the other side. Once browned, remove from pan and set aside.
3. Once the water comes up to a boil, blanch the broccoli florets for 2 minutes, scoop out with a small strainer and set aside. Now add in pasta, stir, and cook to al dente according to package instructions.
4. To the pan with the sausage fat, add 3-4 tablespoons evoo, and heat over medium. Add sliced garlic cloves and crushed red pepper and saute until golden brown and fragrant. Add in broccoli and sausage and heat through.
5. Before removing the pasta, reserve 1-2 cups of pasta water. Strain pasta directly into saute pan (you may need to do this in batches). Add in 1 cup of pasta water and 1/2 cup grated cheese, toss to combine.
6. Garnish with parsley, more red pepper, grated lemon zest, and garlic chips. Add more pasta water if necessary later. Enjoy!
To fry the garlic chips, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a saute pan until you can see ripples. Turn off heat, add 2-3 thinly sliced garlic cloves and swirl around off the heat, until golden brown. Remove from pan, drain and add salt.