Penne alla Vodka
Creamy pasta sauce with crispy bacon, and fresh peas.
Penne alla Vodka
Prep time: 5 minutes. Cook time: 25 minutes. Serves 4.
1 lb penne pasta
1/3 cup kosher salt (for pasta water)
5-6 strips of bacon
1/2 large white onion, diced
1 large clove garlic, minced
Pinch red pepper flakes
1 tsp salt
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
1/2 cup vodka
1 box Pomi tomato puree
1/2 cup cream
1 tablespoon butter
Parmesan and parsley for garnish
1. Fill a large pot with 6-8 quarts of water and 1/3 cup of salt. Bring to boil over a high flame.
2. In a large, dry saute pan, over medium-high heat, fry off 5-6 strips of bacon until crispy, about six minutes. Once crisp, remove to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
3. To the bacon fat, add the diced onion and saute until softened. Add the fresh peas, crushed red pepper, and garlic and continue to cook until fragrant for another 2 minutes.
4. Deglaze the pan with the vodka, and add the tomato puree. Stir to combine and cook for 10-15 minutes.
5. When the water is boiling rapidly, drop the pasta and stir to ensure it doesn't stick together.
6. While the pasta boils, continue to cook the sauce. Chop a handful of parsley and dice the bacon for topping the pasta.
7. Add the cream and butter to the sauce, stir to combine. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water to loosen the sauce if necessary.
8. Once the pasta reaches an al dente consistency, strain it into the vodka sauce. Use 1/2 the pasta water before serving and keep the remaining half on hand if the sauce gets too thick.
9. Stir and cook, coating the pasta in the sauce. Once incorporated, plate the pasta with fresh parsley, parmesan cheese and crispy bacon on top.